Paleo Salted Caramel Almond Butter Bites
2/3 cup almond butter
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract - remove for strict paleo
sea salt (to taste)
1.5 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
2 100% cacao bars or 1 cup dark chocolate chips
1. In a small saucepan, bring the coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract to a boil. Cover and simmer for ~20 minutes (or until mixture is golden brown and starts to thicken), stirring every few minutes. The mixture does not need to be thick like caramel for this recipe!
2. Combine the caramel mixture with almond butter. Line a bread pan with parchment paper & pour mixture evenly across bottom.
3. Freeze for 2-3 hours or until filling is hard enough to cut into squares.
4. Cut into 24-30 small squares (I made two horizontal slices and eight vertical slices to get 27 bite size pieces). Place back in the freezer while you melt the chocolate.
5. In a saucepan on low heat, melt dark chocolate and coconut oil. Using a fork, dip each square in the melted chocolate and place on a plate or baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with sea salt and place back in the freezer for ~1 hour.
Keep any leftovers in a container in the freezer :)